- 2 small eggplants (or 1 large)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh herbs - mint, cilantro, Flat-leaf parsley, or a mixture
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- toasted pine nuts and minced parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to broil and position a rack 8 - 10” from heat source.
Slice the eggplant into 1/2” rounds and sprinkle with salt. Lay on a sheet of Bounty for 10 minutes to absorb excess moisture and the bitterness along with it.
Spread out the eggplant on a foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Broil just until the eggplant is softened and golden brown. Remove the foil sheet from pan and wrap it around the broiled eggplant slices to lock in moisture for 5 minutes.
Peel away most of the skin of the eggplant that comes off easily, and add to a high speed blender. Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper, and blend until almost smooth. Add herbs last and pulse to incorporate - I like to leave a few flecks of the herbs visible. Taste and adjust for more salt and pepper as needed.
Transfer to a serving bowl, top with pine nuts, minced parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with pita chips and raw veggies, and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.